Church/Academy/Library

Church/Academy/Library

The Weeping Water Valley Historical Society has just aquired the building with a long term agreement with Congregational Church.  The Museum is currently beginning the process on getting grants to ensure the building stands for years to come.   Some possible, uses for the building include Art by local artists, recites, and a section on history of the Church and use of the building. 

 

History of the Building

Weeping Water Academy BuildingThis was the first meeting house of the Congregational Church.  It was also the first church structure erected in Weeping Water in 1870. It was almost a community porject for many citizens, other than church members, contributed to the cost.  Services were held in this church until 1890 when the congregation moved to a new larger church as the congregation increased in size.

There was a feeling that the public schools were not preparing students to go on to college so theree was a great need for another source of education. The Weeping Water Academy was opened by the Congregational Church in 1885 with classes in several different buildings.  When this building became available it was the principle building of the Academy.  Rooms were added on the back for classes after the first year.  A girls domatory was built in 1904, this building still standHindley Colleges and has had many uses through the years, a hotel, a rest home, and a provate home.  During the years the Cacademy was in operation 75 students graduated although many more attended.

In 1914, the public schools had impoved greatly and since the Academy had always suffered from finacial trouble it was closed.  Three years later the old stonde church became the Public Library.  The Academy books formed the nucleus of the library.  The Library Board was made up of the Congreational pastor and sicx other members, tow of whom were not to be members of the church.  In 1918 a change was made to comply with the laws of the State which required that the board be appointed by the City Council.  The church gave the city a lease for 25 years for a dollar for as long as the building is used as a public library. 

News


Archive