Heritage House

Heritage HouseThis building was built by the Congregational Church as a parsonage in 1867, shortly after the Civil War.  It is constructed of native limestone and an unusual feature is the double wall construction witch served as "chimney" and allowed the smoke to drift up between the stone walls.  The porch is more a reflection of Victorian tastes and was probably added later.

The original building cost $900.00.  In 1870 the Trustees of the church wanted to build a house of worship as they had been meeting in homes and the school so the parsonage was sold for $975.00.  The house changed hands a number of times and in 1893 it was bought by Dr. Jesse C. Fate, a Civil War veteran.  It was inherited in 1929 by his daughter Clara who came to live here after retirement in 1958.  When the Historical Society purchased the building in in 1967 many of the Fate's original furnishing were left with the house.

The front door, the brass fitings and bell are all original.  Most of the fine walnut living room furniture, though reupholstered, is orginal.  The cane bottomed folding chair is from the Pool home.  The organ was the property of the Christian Science Church until it was disbanded locally.

The kitchen contains a fine pie cupboard with zinc sides, the cane bottom chairs and the china closet are from the Fate household.  The cutlery is either from the old Congregational Church kitchen or that of the Academy.  Many of the small objects, as well as the fine waPalorlnut materials upstairs are from the home of Miss Myrtle Wood, whose parents brought them from Missouri in a covered wagon in 1866.

A narrow, steep stairway leading up to the second floor is covered with carpeting dating to the 1890's and which served as aisle runners in the brick Congregational Church which was lost to fire in 1990.  A the head of the stairs is a small room furnished as a nursery with a four generation cradle, a child's rocking chair, dresser, dolls, doll trunk and bed.  In the years that the house was rented this room was converted to a bathroom.

The north bedroom contains an iron, three-quarters bed and a very beautiful walnut dresser.  It has a fine pair of early 18th century Sheffield plate candlesticks, the trunk, rug, table, and pictures are all original.  The south bedroom has pillow shams, and a cornhusk mattress from 1896.  The walnut dresser, the velvet covered couch and the was stand are original Fate furniture.

The Doctor was an avid gardner and the landscaped lots were enclosed in a white picket fence. 


School Bell and street LightThe old Weeping Water Grade School bell has also been mounted near the Heritage House on a plinth with documents deposited in a box.  One of the old city street lights has been converted for electrical use and provides light at the complex.










To View other images from the Heritage House check out the gallery.  

 
 

News


Archive